Skip to main content

Featured Blog: Grace, Hope and Frugal Things

Hey there! My name is Erin (or MommaStJ) and I blog at Grace, Hope and Frugal Things.



Me in a nutshell: writer, momma, wife to a Canadian, founder of a non-profit organization, lover of pancakes&pickles and all things Jane Austin.

I've been blogging since the days of Xanga and Livejournal. Granted my posts contained mostly "omg I LOVE him" and "then I ate an oreo and watched TV for two hours" because the idea behind blogging was lost on a preteen, boy crazed, homeschooler. But blogging nonetheless. Then after a boyfriend broke my heart via Xanga, I broke up with blogging. It took some major changes in my life to bring me and blogging back together.

#1. My father was diagnosed with ALS in 2008. He was given 3-5 years to live. ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease, is fatal. There is no treatment. There is no cure. There are no survivors. He can no longer eat, talk, or even write to us. His optimism and unbelievable Faith has been a bittersweet thing to witness.

Unless I write my feelings, I rarely show them. This caused some issues when I would have mental breakdowns about my dad’s diagnosis, and my husband had no idea how to handle me. Enter blogging.

#2. I gave birth to a beautiful daughter, Aubrielle, in September of 2010. As I said before, I struggle with showing emotion, and I really don't like being touched. When I was pregnant I really, really didn't like being touched. So in the weeks leading up to her birth, I became increasingly anxious that I would suffer from postpartum depression, since I couldn't imagine being a mother, or a good one at least. But we were blessed with a healthy daughter with a wonderful personality. She and I mesh like nothing else. She is a creature of comfort, just like her Momma. She made me want to be better for her. Enter blogging

#3. So I had my daughter, and lost all the baby weight within a month. Yay, good for me! Or not. I gained over 40lbs in the first 8 months of marriage. My husband said I looked fine, but I had no self esteem. I never wore makeup and only wore baggy sweaters. That was a far cry from the Victoria Secret Bikinis I strutted around in on our honeymoon. I needed to make a change, for me, my husband, my marriage, my daughter. I needed motivation and accountability. Enter blogging

Now I am 24 lbs thinner, hopelessly in love with my little girl, and recently organized a 5K to bring awareness to ALS. I wouldn't go as far as to say blogging saved my life, but it has helped me do things I never thought I could before.

The sense of community from fellow bloggers is a blessing. I can write a review on a baby toy, a recipe, a reflection on my life, or just a few pictures and my readers read, reach out, and accept me. While I am still new to the sponsor, giveaway, advertise, grab button blogging world, I am excited to see where this journey takes me.

Come by my blog GH&FT- I'm excited to meet you!

Comments

I think you're fab!! Looking forward to featuring your post tomorrow on my blog!! :-)
Anonymous said…
First off ... you ate "AN Oreo" AN?? That is impressive to stop at one!! Secondly, you have a darling site :) Stopping in an following from the Tuesday blog hop - hope you can visit and return the favor soon. http://www.shaunanosler.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Hello! I'm still alive. How's everyone?!

hi my lovely bloggers! how are you!? I hope you're following on twitter , so that I can re-tweet your blog posts! in the meantime, i'm working on something new......stay tuned and get ready for a nice new blog community site here! xoxo

New Website : come say Hi!

I think the last time we posted we said we were working on some things and left y'all hanging.....sorry! I bet you are all doing well, still blogging and I'm definitely interested in hearing from you. With so many working mama's, from home to side hustles, I decided that I would make coffee addict mama somewhat similar to FTLOB! If you're free to come check it out, comment and say HI! I'd love to pick up from where we left off. XOXO

Sign The Pledge

Good Afternoon Lovely Members! Over one hundred of you Signed The Pledge and We Think that is spectacular. The page is filled with amazing blog lovers who deserve to be checked out. Go to this page to read these comments on signing the pledge and know that these people take pride in their blogs- they are so deserving of your love. In an effort to keep this going and make a difference here in blog land, we are bringing the pledge to this page so the comments don't get too overwhelming. We would recommend checking everyone out who signs because they have the same goals and etiquette as we do. So as far as being true to yourselves, your blogs and your friends, we know that these are the blogs we can go to for authenticity. For those that already signed, you don't have to sign here-Now for all of you new members who have yet to sign, here it is: I solemnly swear to participate in as many hops and features here at FTLOB to grow my blogging experience but ultimately to gain a